Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 72 hours (3 business days).
How to Contact:
- 1-877-487-2778/ 1-888-874-7793 (TTY/TDD) Monday- Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Time, except federal holidays.
- 202-647-4000 outside of the hours listed above
You must provide:
- A passport application with supporting documents
- Proof of the life-or-death emergency such as a death certificate, a statement from a mortuary, or a signed letter from a hospital or medical professional. Documents must be in English or translated in English.
- Proof of international travel (itinerary, ticket, reservation) specific to the emergency