Can I put in a claim for my expenses?

If you paid the debts of the decedent or incurred charges directly connected with the decedent's death or paid part of the funeral expenses, immediately notify the administrator. You may be a creditor of the estate. Creditors must file a Creditor's Claim with documents supporting the claim within four (4) months after the appointment of the estate's personal representative or administrator. Creditor Claim forms may be obtained from the Court, at any legal bookstore, from the California Judicial Council online, or by mail from the Public Administrator.

Show All Answers

1. What is involved in the probate of an estate, and why does it take so long?
2. Why does the Public Administrator administer estates?
3. When is the estate handled by the Public Administrator?
4. How much are the fees of the Public Administrator?
5. What is the difference between a formal probate proceeding and a summary proceeding?
6. Does the Public Administrator make a thorough investigation to discover all estate assets?
7. Will the Public Administrator make funeral arrangements?
8. Can I put in a claim for my expenses?
9. When will claims be paid?
10. What inheritance taxes or estate taxes will the estate have to pay?
11. Can you give me the exact financial status of the estate?
12. Will I receive regular reports on the progress of the estate?
13. How long does it take to administer an estate?
14. Why is estate property sold?
15. When will the estate be distributed?
16. Will I receive a statement of all receipts and disbursements?