Authorized Certified Copies
The California Health and Safety Code Section 103526 permits only specific individuals to receive an Authorized Certified Copy of a birth record. An Authorized Certified Copy is required to obtain a driver's license, passport, social security card, and other services related to an individual's identity.
Important NOTE: Effective January 1, 2022, due to a California State Mandated Fee Increase, fees for certified copies of a Birth Certificate will be $29.00. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Informational Certified Copy
Those who are not authorized may receive an Informational Certified Copy with the words "Informational, not a valid document to establish identity" imprinted across the face of the copy.
When ordering in person, an authorized individual must complete an approved application including a sworn statement under penalty of perjury to receive an Authorized Certified Copy. A notarized statement sworn under penalty of perjury must accompany orders sent by mail to ensure that the requester is an authorized person.
Individuals Permitted to Receive an Authorized Certified Copy
- The registrant or a parent or legal guardian of the registrant
- A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order, or an attorney or a licensed adoption agency seeking the birth record in order to comply with the requirements of Section 3140 or 7603 of the Family Code
- A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business
- A child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse, or domestic partner of the registrant
- An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant's estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant's estate