About the Program
The IHSS Program will pay for services that you are unable to do for yourself, so that you can remain safely in your own home. IHSS is considered an alternative to out-of-home care, such as nursing home or board and care facilities.
The types of services that are available through IHSS include housecleaning, meal preparation, laundry, grocery shopping, personal care services (such as bowel and bladder care, bathing, grooming, and paramedical services), accompaniment to medical appointments, and protective supervision for the mentally impaired.
You may be eligible for IHSS if you:
- Are 65 years of age, disabled or blind.
- Have a functional impairment and are at risk for out-of-home care placement.
- Have a need for IHSS services in order to remain safely at home.
- Physically reside in the United States.
- Are a California resident.
- Have a Medi-Cal eligibility determination.
- Live at home or an abode of your own choosing (acute care hospital, long-term care facilities, and licensed community care facilities are not considered "own home").
- Submit a completed Health Care Certification form.