Mental Health Services Act
Welcome to Merced County's Mental Health Services Act (MHSA) page.
What is MHSA?
Purpose: MHSA (or Proposition 63) was approved by voters in 2004. This Act imposes a 1% income tax on personal income in excess of $1 million in order to increase county mental health funding. MHSA is focused on creating an innovative mental health system that promotes wellness, recovery, and resiliency while decreasing stigma. Services are culturally competent, easier to access, and more effective in preventing and treating serious mental illness. Please select to view the latest version of the Amended MHSA as revised 01/04/18.
MHSA is based on 5 essential elements:
- Cultural Competence
- Community Collaboration
- Consumer and Family Driven Services
- Focus on Wellness, Recovery and Resiliency
- An Integrated Services Experience
MHSA is implemented through five (5) main Components:
- Community Services and Supports (CSS)
- Prevention and Early Intervention (PEI)
- Innovation (INN)
- Workforce, Education and Training (WET)
- Capital Facilities and Technological Needs (CFTN)
Latest News and Upcoming Events
September is Suicide Prevention Month
In honor of Suicide Prevention Month, please join us as we learn about suicide prevention, watch inspirational videos and hear from individuals with lived experience.
Thursday, September 19, 2019 3:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Merced County BHRS 301 E. 13th Street, Suite E, Merced, California
2nd Floor Conference Center
This event is FREE and Open to the Public
Please RSVP by emailing MHSA@co.merced.ca.us
or call MHSA Staff at (209) 381-6800
We Want Your Input!
Merced County Behavioral Health and Recovery Services is seeking input from stakeholders regarding Mental Health Services Act (MHSA) programs and mental health services in Merced County. Your feedback will help develop the MHSA Annual Update for FY 2019-2020.
Focus groups will run through October 28, 2019.
Click on the flyer to view the MHSA Community Planning Process flyer in PDF and for information on who to contact with questions about the MHSA community planning process and how to schedule a focus group.
View the MHSA calendar below to find a schedule of upcoming focus groups.
- The 5th Annual Spiritual Wellness and Recovery Conference was held on July 20, 2019. Visit the Spiritual Wellness Conference Page to view photos from the event and to learn more about this amazing day.
- Visit the Training Schedule Page to see the list of upcoming BHRS trainings and to download the flyer or registration form.
- MHSA partners with Public Health to provide Health Education classes, workshops and trainings aimed to improve both mental and physical health. Click here to view Public Health's calendar of upcoming classes.
- Visit the Suicide Prevention Page to learn more about our ongoing initiative and view photos from Suicide Prevention Month.
- Visit the MHSA Events and Campaigns Page to access recent event photos and learn more about these educational and inspiring events.
- Visit the MHSA Artwork Page to view more inspiring and creative consumer and community artwork.
Recent MHSA Plans, Updates, and Reports
- 2018-2019 MHSA Annual Update (Adopted 01/29/2019)
- Program Update to the 2017-2020 MHSA Three-Year Program and Expenditure Plan (Reversion/Reallocation) - FINAL (Adopted 08/17/2018)
- 2017-2020 MHSA Three-Year Program and Expenditure Plan - FINAL (Adopted 12/19/2017)
- 2016-2017 MHSA PEI Annual Program and Evaluation Report (1st Annual)
- 2016-2017 MHSA Innovation Annual Project Report (1st Annual)
Visit the MHSA Plans, Updates, and Reports page to view recent and historical MHSA program and fiscal documents.